Moody High School Seniors and Parents,
I appreciate your patience as we have worked to develop the best plan possible to honor our seniors with a traditional graduation ceremony. We have revised our plans as guidance from Governor Abbott and the Texas Education Agency has continued to change, and I am excited to unveil our plan for an outdoor, in-person graduation ceremony at Bearcat Stadium.
Moody High School will comply with all guidelines for outdoor graduation ceremonies established by TEA. We are blessed to be a part of a community with a stadium that allows us to host such a ceremony and allow students to have guests in the stands. However, we are required to cap attendance at a level that allows for appropriate social distancing. Therefore, entry to the graduation ceremony will be by ticket only, without exception. Each graduate will be assigned 15 guest tickets. While we are excited to host guests for the event, we plan to provide a live stream of the event on our campus Facebook page for guests who are unable to attend or would prefer to remain at home. Students will be able to pick up their assigned graduation tickets from 10:00 AM until 2:00 PM on Thursday, May 28, 2020 in the High School Front Office. In order to maximize attendance and improve social distancing, we will use both the home and visitor’s stands, with students entering the stadium on both sides of the field. Students will be informed of which side they will enter when they pick up their tickets.
The following guidelines will apply to all guests present at the MHS graduation ceremony:
- Gates will open at 7:00 PM. Guests may enter through the home or visitor main gates as appropriate. Hand sanitizer will be available at both gates. Guests are encouraged to consider wearing non-medical grade face masks.
- Guests must form a line for entry, maintaining a distance of 6 ft between household groups. We will have the line marked at 6 ft intervals to assist with spacing.
- Tickets must be presented at the gate for each guest. Each ticket will contain the guest’s name, a brief health screening survey, and information about the ceremony. No guest may enter prior to completing the health screening information.
- Once inside the stadium, guests are asked to move directly to the stands and be seated in one of the designated seating areas. We will mark groups of 5 seats, with 6 ft of space between groups. Members of the same household may sit together, no more than 5 per group. Seating will be offered on a first come, first served basis. We ask that you remain seated in a designated area throughout the ceremony and maintain social distancing of 6 ft at all times.
- Restrooms will be open at the concession stand, with custodial staff present to clean and sanitize regularly. Sanitizing stations will be available at designated areas in the stadium.
- Guests must remain in a seating area throughout the ceremony. No guests will be allowed on the field before, during, or after the ceremony.
- Following the ceremony, guests will be released to exit the stands. All guests must maintain social distancing as they leave the stands and exit the stadium.
The following guidelines will apply to all graduates present at the MHS graduation ceremony:
- ALL graduates will be required to complete health screening temperature checks prior to graduation.
- Students MUST maintain 6 ft of social distance between classmates before, during and after the ceremony.
- Graduates will enter the stadium through the Northwest EMS gate. No guests will be allowed entry through this gate. Graduates must be dressed in appropriate graduation cap and gown prior to entry.
- Graduates will move down to the track at the North end of the stadium on their assigned side (home or visitor). Each graduate will be assigned to a faculty member (graduates will receive their faculty member when they pick up tickets). They will report to that faculty member who will place them in line to prepare for the processional.
- The assigned faculty member will lead students down the track, onto the field, and to their assigned seat at the appropriate time.
- All graduate seats will be spaced 6 ft apart.
- Throughout the ceremony, students must listen to instructions from their assigned faculty member and from the speaker on stage.
- At the appropriate time, students will be led by a faculty member to the stage and will walk across to receive their diploma (actual diplomas will be given after the ceremony as students exit the stadium). Students will exit the stage and circle back to their seats.
- When directed to throw their hats, students must remain at their seats. They will not be allowed to move to retrieve a thrown hat.
- After the ceremony, students will follow the guidance of faculty members to exit the seating area and proceed to the Northwest gate. Tables will be set up for students to retrieve their actual diploma at the gate. Once they receive the diploma, they must exit the stadium directly through the gate.
- Students will receive additional guidance and details when they come to pick up graduation tickets from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM on Thursday, May 28, 2020.